Tuesday 21 January 2014

My Anxiety and How I Fight it

I have a lot of trouble turning my brain off.  There are always thoughts in my head about what needs to be done, what bad things could go wrong, and sometimes how afraid I should be.  It’s happening right now.


When it gets particularly bad I tend to isolate myself from other people and look for distractions.  It’s usually easier to fill my brain to overflowing than to calmly address and release these thoughts.  I guess you could say I have an undiagnosed anxiety problem.  


The good news is that I’ve found ways to fight it.



1. Reading

The ability to turn off the world around me and enter a different life with different adventures will always be medicinal to me.  Having to create the mental images of the world I’m entering, the characters, accents, and predicting what will happen next is a great way to swap my current world for one of my choosing.


2. Avoiding Caffeine (When unnessecary) 

I drank a Monster this morning when I definitely didn’t need it.  I supercharged my own brain into being more anxious.  Funny how that works.


3. Writing


This wasn't on the initial list but as I typed this blog I realized how much it helps.  Emptying my thoughts into a computer screen has been very cathartic.


4. Meditation




I recently found an app called Buddhify for my droid (Buddhify 2 for iOS).  It is incredible.  It’s meditation on the go for anyone from the noob to a seasoned meditation guru.  I cannot recommend this app enough for anyone struggling with anxiety or if you're in need of some peace and quiet to recharge your batteries.

1 comment:

  1. "I guess you could say I have an undiagnosed anxiety problem." - What you are experiencing is totally normal for an intelligent, active human being imo. I wouldn't say you have anxiety, I would say you have a not boring life.

    ReplyDelete